Friday, January 14, 2011

Week 52: Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini

Well, this wasn't the book I thought I would end this blog with, but oh well.

Be More Chill is a book about a self-professed high school nerd who can't get ahead. Jeremy Heere is so aware that is unpopular that he actually keeps records of the bad things that happen to him on a daily basis ("humiliation sheets"). But then, he gets a "squip", a little pill that adjusts his whole life by giving him directions as he runs through the course of his day. The squib makes him confident, popular, and then... as you might predict, it completely ruins his life.

The book was cleverly written. It was bizarre and fun and outside the box. The story was completely bonkers, but I didn't care, because the dialogue was so much fun.

I'm not really sure why or how this book made it onto my wish list, but it was worth the read. It was a great lighthearted (if silly) pseudo science fiction book that was just right for me to read during this very difficult work week. An easy read, generally not very challenging, but loads of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment