Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week 53: Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

After having possibly the most stressful week of my life, it was nice to read a book that didn't make me want to tear my hair out to understand it.

Charlie St. Cloud is a young man who made a terrible mistake when he was a boy, something he could never forget or forgive himself for. In an inventive story that was filled with sweetness, Charlie finds more than he ever expected... a life.

I thought that the dialogue between Charlie and his brother really showed the intimacy they had shared in life and later, in the "in-between state". The book also had some neat little twists and turns that kept me guessing until the end about one of the main characters.

The only thing that bugged me about this story was the end. Anyone who knows my line of work knows I'm going to be critical of any amazing brain injury recovery story... not to ruin the ending for you... but you know how I am. Brain injury is more frequently an arduous journey of rehabiliation, patients don't often snap out of a coma and have their full language capacity. For more information, go to http://www.biade.org/.

Good one, thanks for the recommendation, D!

No comments:

Post a Comment