Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Week 57: Making Toast by Roger Rosenblatt

I honestly could not have loved this sweet little memoir more. I selected it from the "New" section in the library just because the title caught my eye.

I loved this book because of its simplicity. Roger Rosenblatt, writer, professor, and father of three adult children, finds himself in an odd position when his daughter Amy suddenly passes away, herself leaving a husband and three children. Roger and his wife Ginny step into the difficult position of being not quite parents and not quite grandparents.

Roger (a.k.a. "Boppo the Great") tells his story so simply and eloquently that I felt as if I was reading the journal of an old friend. The innocence and purity with which he relayed each segment of this memoir made me feel deeply comforted despite the obvious discomfort of his family members.

With this book, Roger Rosenblatt did not just write a great story. He memorialized his daughter (for whom he had the greatest respect) and created a gift of love that his whole family could treasure. I can't think of a better reason to write a memoir.

A wonderful little book with a heck of a lot of depth. Please pick it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment