Thursday, January 12, 2012

Week 64: Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

This book is the first I've been able to finish in nearly 7 months, and I couldn't put it down. Because of the turbulence in my life, I've lacked the ability to concentrate long enough to read a full book. It's been heartbreaking and discouraging, because reading is so important to me.When a friend recommended this book, I picked it up and started reading it. Thankfully, it had the kind of hook in the beginning which was just what I needed to get caught up in it. Consequently, I've been glued to it for the past few days. I just finished it. I think I'll be mentally and emotionally digesting it for a very long time.

Dalton Trumbo is either a genius or the most massively disturbed author I've ever read.

His account of a soldier who has literally been torn to bits was terrifying, humbling, and in some instances, astoundingly beautiful. Throughout it, I thought my heart would break. There's not much more I can say about this book, except if you haven't read it, you should. I'm sure that there was a political uproar when this book was published. I'm glad I wasn't around to listen to that one.

Thanks, G, for the recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment