The Goal

To continue to read one book each week
To find authors who inspire me
To teach myself discipline
To share my experiences with others


Thursday, January 12, 2012

Week 64: Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

This book is the first I've been able to finish in nearly 7 months, and I couldn't put it down. Because of the turbulence in my life, I've lacked the ability to concentrate long enough to read a full book. It's been heartbreaking and discouraging, because reading is so important to me.When a friend recommended this book, I picked it up and started reading it. Thankfully, it had the kind of hook in the beginning which was just what I needed to get caught up in it. Consequently, I've been glued to it for the past few days. I just finished it. I think I'll be mentally and emotionally digesting it for a very long time.

Dalton Trumbo is either a genius or the most massively disturbed author I've ever read.

His account of a soldier who has literally been torn to bits was terrifying, humbling, and in some instances, astoundingly beautiful. Throughout it, I thought my heart would break. There's not much more I can say about this book, except if you haven't read it, you should. I'm sure that there was a political uproar when this book was published. I'm glad I wasn't around to listen to that one.

Thanks, G, for the recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget