Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Book 74: 50 Shades of Grey by E L James



Okay. This is a romance novel. I read a romance novel. Not a first for me, but it's the first time I've ever decided to allow one to take up space on my blog. 

With that said, you'll notice that this book review is very short. I have one positive thing to say about this book: it did clarify some of the misunderstandings I had about BDSM. It kept my attention for that, and only that reason.

The rest of it, unfortunately, was drivel. I felt like I was reading Twilight all over again. Perhaps the reason people find these kinds of books wonderful is because they provide no challenge to the reader. You don't have to work hard to understand it. To me, the characters feel plastic and the writing is amateur. The "cliffhanger" at the end could have been lifted straight from a soap opera script. It appeals to the masses because it is easy. And this just the first of a trilogy. Sigh. 

The truth is, I don't care if Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele stay together. Sorry, kids, you're kind of boring once you leave the Red Room of Pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment