Friday, July 27, 2012

Book 77: Bossypants by Tina Fey (Audiobook)



If you want to laugh until your sides hurt, pick up this audiobook. 

Tina Fey's book appealed to me for a number of reasons:
1. She's from Philly, and people who are from Philly love other people from Philly. (At least, until they get carjacked.)
2. Her sense of humor is largely based on similes (a figure of speech that expresses a resemblance between things of different kinds, from www.thefreedictionary.com), and this has always appealed to me. (This is one of the reasons I love Anthony Bourdain.) The result: HILARITY. (As in, Esther pulls over on the side of the road and cracks up.)
3. She's a working mom with an incredible career and doesn't pretend like it's easily managed. Fame has not made her life easier, because she chooses to continue to work hard. Yeah, maybe it's crazy, but it's the life she leads.
4. Did I mention she's from Philly?

Surprisingly, I didn't even know how much I wanted to know about Tina Fey's life. From the inner workings of Saturday Night Live, her relationship with her father, and the (gulp) scar on her face, there was never a dull moment. Both her description of her father's rage at the carpet shampooer (while she played with her Star Wars figures on a dirt patch in the alley, "otherwise known as Tatooine") and her matter-of-fact statement that her Greek eyebrows  "would grow across my face, then across yours," made me laugh out loud. As a kid, she rocked the leggings, long t-shirt, and fanny pack. She juggled Oprah's 30 Rock appearance and her daughter's Peter Pan-themed birthday party the same weekend. She has ignored every beauty tip imaginable. Her husband Jeff is afraid to fly. All of these tiny tidbits that made me feel connected to her. 

From beginning to end, this audiobook was a hoot. 

2 comments:

  1. Loved this audiobook. I'm not a laugh out loud kind of person but I sure did listening to this one! --Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, at more than a few points, I had tears streaming down my face! : )

      Delete