Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book 80: Drop Dead Healthy by A.J. Jacobs

As you may know, A.J. Jacobs is one of my favorite authors. Perhaps it's because he is a) human, b) endeavors to learn through new experiences, and c) doesn't care if he makes an ass out of himself while he's doing it.

I've read three of A.J.'s books - The Know-it-All, A Year of Living Biblically, and I'm halfway through My Life as An Experiment. (I meant to finish it, but I put it down months ago before I moved, and I can't find it. It'll turn up.) So far, I haven't been disappointed with A.J.'s truth-seeking antics, and number four: Drop Dead Healthy was no exception. 

A.J.'s project Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Quest for Bodily Perfection (full title), spanned two years and incorporated detoxification, exercise, diet, and other lifestyle experiments. His poor wife (for whom I offer up regular prayers) and his children (who will have great stories to tell their friends at cocktail parties) were involuntarily included in this particular quest. Although they were obviously driven to their limit of their patience, it made for very entertaining reading material. 

As my friend Molly said, "Under all those laughs are some solid, thought-provoking stuff." She pegged it, and  I agree with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment