Monday, December 10, 2012

Book 88: A Cup of Friendship by Deborah Rodriguez (Audiobook)

SPOILER ALERT.

There is a certain authenticity that the author Deborah Rodriguez developed throughout this book that struck a chord with me. Then, unfortunately, she screwed up her end game.

I absolutely loved this book until the last chapter. I loved the stubborn American coffee house owner, the Afghan chef and staff, the government contractor regulars, and the other characters whose lives were artfully interwoven. I loved the environs that she developed. I loved how easy it was to visualize the marketplace in Kabul.

I may be the only person in the world who gets disappointed when a book ties up too neatly. It's better to put it this way: If a book is written from an authentic, real-world standpoint, then wraps up with a fairy-tale flourish, then for me, all authenticity is gone. Therefore, I am disappointed.

It bothers me immensely that I can't give this book a complete A+. Maybe you'll give it a shot and you'll love it through and through.


No comments:

Post a Comment