The Goal

To continue to read one book each week
To find authors who inspire me
To teach myself discipline
To share my experiences with others


Monday, December 10, 2012

Book 88: A Cup of Friendship by Deborah Rodriguez (Audiobook)

SPOILER ALERT.

There is a certain authenticity that the author Deborah Rodriguez developed throughout this book that struck a chord with me. Then, unfortunately, she screwed up her end game.

I absolutely loved this book until the last chapter. I loved the stubborn American coffee house owner, the Afghan chef and staff, the government contractor regulars, and the other characters whose lives were artfully interwoven. I loved the environs that she developed. I loved how easy it was to visualize the marketplace in Kabul.

I may be the only person in the world who gets disappointed when a book ties up too neatly. It's better to put it this way: If a book is written from an authentic, real-world standpoint, then wraps up with a fairy-tale flourish, then for me, all authenticity is gone. Therefore, I am disappointed.

It bothers me immensely that I can't give this book a complete A+. Maybe you'll give it a shot and you'll love it through and through.


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget