The Goal

To continue to read one book each week
To find authors who inspire me
To teach myself discipline
To share my experiences with others


Friday, June 14, 2013

Book 101: Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (Audiobook)

Going Postal is the story of Moist von Lipwig, a conman who miraculously survives an execution and is therefore pardoned from death, only to find himself assigned to a new job: postmaster of the Ankh-Morpork post office, a once-renowned institution that is now horrendously defunct.

Mr. Lipwig finds himself responsible for a post office that has stopped delivering mail. Piled to the ceiling with letters, the building is almost impossible to navigate. Lipwig's odd counterparts hold themselves to a standard on other aspects of the postal service - such as filling the inkwells - despite never delivering the mail. His plight is daunting, but he does the best he can, and winds up experiencing fairly-won victory for the first time in his life.

What a great story line. Terry Pratchett drew me in so quickly that I had a difficult time leaving my car when I was in the middle of a chapter. The imagery and characters made me feel like I had been to Ankh Morpork myself. The characters of Moist, Stanley, Groat, Mr. Pump, Ms. Dearheart, and others kept me laughing.

I would recommend this book to people who love fantasy books that have a resemblance to real life. Anyone who knows a postal employee would get a kick out of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget