Friday, June 14, 2013

Book 101: Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (Audiobook)

Going Postal is the story of Moist von Lipwig, a conman who miraculously survives an execution and is therefore pardoned from death, only to find himself assigned to a new job: postmaster of the Ankh-Morpork post office, a once-renowned institution that is now horrendously defunct.

Mr. Lipwig finds himself responsible for a post office that has stopped delivering mail. Piled to the ceiling with letters, the building is almost impossible to navigate. Lipwig's odd counterparts hold themselves to a standard on other aspects of the postal service - such as filling the inkwells - despite never delivering the mail. His plight is daunting, but he does the best he can, and winds up experiencing fairly-won victory for the first time in his life.

What a great story line. Terry Pratchett drew me in so quickly that I had a difficult time leaving my car when I was in the middle of a chapter. The imagery and characters made me feel like I had been to Ankh Morpork myself. The characters of Moist, Stanley, Groat, Mr. Pump, Ms. Dearheart, and others kept me laughing.

I would recommend this book to people who love fantasy books that have a resemblance to real life. Anyone who knows a postal employee would get a kick out of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment