Monday, August 17, 2015

Re-reading my truest literary loves

I've said before that I'm a book snob, and that I only read books that hook my attention and maintain it.

There are a few select books that will always be part of my permanent collection. They are the first titles that my eyes see when I look at my shelves - old, familiar friends. I call these - my truest literary loves - the "re-readables."

True "re-readables" are those books that offer tiny details that are missed on the first read-through or are revealed so carefully that one can only see them after finishing the book. Or, perhaps the book has such profound ideas that I want to understand their themes during each stage of my life. In any case, a re-readable grips me so fully that it's impossible to resist another read.

So few books are on my list of "re-readables." They include Diary by Chuck Palahniuk (which I am currently reading for the third time), Where the Birds Never Sing by Jack Sacco, Night by Elie Wiesel, It by Stephen King, Johnny Got his Gun by Dalton Trumbo, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Innocent Man by John Grisham, Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, and Last Words by George Carlin.

Choose carefully the books that you allow into your life, and indulge yourself over and again when you find those that truly speak to you. Keep exploring literature and make your own list of re-readables. I promise you won't regret it.

I can't wait until I discover my next true literary love.

No comments:

Post a Comment