Sunday, October 11, 2015

Book 123: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee narrated by Reese Witherspoon (Audiobook)

With all due respect to Harper Lee, this book could have stayed unpublished forever, and we'd all have been better for it.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books, and the movie starring Gregory Peck is one of the best book-to-movie classics. Moreover, Atticus Finch has been one of my most beloved characters, so well written he was nearly real. For me, Go Set a Watchman unraveled the hero that was so carefully put together. I am beyond disappointed; I'm heartbroken.

Furthermore, something is wrong with the tone of this book. There's too much of something, and I just couldn't put my finger on it. It's almost as if the two books were written by completely different authors, rather than one person, several years apart. There were disconnections throughout, and story elements seemed to come out of thin air with little explanation. I was lost for a good portion of this book and had to go to online forums to clarify certain parts. What a headache.

This is the first book I've ever truly regretted reading. The beautiful characters I've had in my mind of Scout, Jim, Henry, Dill, Atticus, and Calpurnia have been ruined; I can't get them back.

No comments:

Post a Comment