Friday, September 9, 2016

New Challenge, When Master's is Complete

Sooooo... I am a few months away from finishing my Master's of Science in Management - Healthcare Administration. I know that this will free up some time to read, and I intend to catch up on every bit of reading that I've missed while I've been reading ridiculously boring textbooks.

I'm toying with the idea of setting a new goal for myself - one that will require me to have my nose in a book ever spare minute of the day. The goal is to read 100 books in a year - that's about 2 books per week for an entire year.

I got the idea after reading a blog post about how this goal could be attained. The essential idea is to constantly be reading, whenever you can spare a moment. So, I figured why not? Here is my [working] plan:
  • Read e-books on my Kindle, which can bookmark my progress from device to device (I tried it today going from Kindle to smart phone, and it works)
  • Load the Kindle app on my PC at work and catch up on my lunch breaks, between projects, or when my brain needs a rest from writing
  • Keep an audiobook going in my car, listening to it during my commute and any long trips.
  • Keep a book on my bedside table and read - instead of watching TV - for at least thirty minutes before bed.
  • Add audiobooks to my smartphone so that I can listen to them while I'm doing brainless repetitive database work that requires no cerebral effort.
I may decide to subscribe to Audible so I never have any down time between audiobooks, just in case my library holds don't come in in a timely manner.

I'm mom of two kids, with an OCD boyfriend, and a full time job. I figure if I can read 100 books in a year, anybody can do it.

God, just imagine what I'll learn about the world, about others, and about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment