Sunday, October 22, 2017

Book 165: All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner (Audiobook) Read by Tracee Chimo

Another audiobook on loan from my coworker Sherry! This was a good one.

In Jennifer Weiner's book All Fall Down, Allison Weiss was a busy wife, mom, and blogger. She also had a little problem that was quickly ballooning out of control: an addiction to painkillers.

Through the character Allison Weiss, the author made it clear that anyone and everyone can be susceptible to addiction. In the parts where Allison's addiction is snowballing downhill, wide swaths of the story are missing, because Allison doesn't remember them. We - as the reader - are clued in later about the reasons some things happened the way they did. And we find out that not everything is not always what it seems.

I was in familiar territory as I immersed myself in this book. Not with addiction (though I do know it well, but not firsthand), but with the challenges of being a working mother, feeling like things are spinning out of control. I know the feeling of having deadlines to meet while children are begging for attention and a spouse or partner is mentally or emotionally checking out. I grew up in Philadelphia, I knew the landmarks embedded in the story's setting.

I loved this book through and through. The audiobook version, read by Tracee Chimo, was excellent.

And now, I'm caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment