Sunday, November 19, 2017

Book 173: Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat

I don't normally review cookbooks, but this was one I couldn't resist. I ran across an article in bon apetit magazine about this awesome new chef, Samin Nosrat, who is redefining the way people understand their ingredients.

Nosrat's book is not your standard run-of-the-mill cookbook. In each chapter, she focuses on the chemical properties of each element of cooking - salt, fat, acid, heat - to help her readers better understand how each impacts the texture and flavor of the food we prepare. At the end, she provides a number of simple and delicious recipes to try at home.

As an avid cook and an artist, this book was simply irresistible. Aside from the cooking advice, I loved Nosrat's writing style and ability to communicate complex chemical processes. And I loved the illustrations by Wendy MacNaughton, who put her heart and soul into each drawing. I borrowed this book from the library, but believe me, when I can afford it, the hard copy will be in my permanent collection.

It's difficult to read and absorb every page of this book in a few days. I would definitely recommend buying a copy (if only to keep the recipes at the back of the book handy) so that you have time to read and apply the tips in this book. I don't normally do this, but here's the link to the book on Amazon. I would not recommend the e-book version - get hard copy to see McNaughton's beautiful artwork for yourself.

I hope you check it out... it's one of the more unique books I've read this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment