Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Book 180: Beat This! Cookbook: Absolutely Unbeatable Knock'em Dead Recipes for the Very Best Dishes by Ann Hodgman

This is the best cookbook I have ever owned. Yes, I know it's old (published in 1999), but the other day I realized I would be remiss in blogging about other cookbooks without revealing my one true love sitting at home in my own library: Beat This! Cookbook by Ann Hodgman.

I have owned this cookbook for at least six years. In that time I've made everything in the book at least once. I have at least ten cookbooks, and this is the only one I refer to all the time. Of all the recipes, my absolute favorite is Hodgman's "Best Banana Bread" which is better than anything I've ever tasted, before or after I bought this book. And the book is funny! It's not just bland recipes; Hodgman infuses them with humor. You could read this book from cover to cover and have a few giggles.

I love this book and have bought copies for friends over the years, especially those who love cooking, or (like me) had a bit of a rocky start to baking. Although I'm a decent cook (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), my baking skills have never been good. Thankfully, Hodgman's collection of recipes are straightforward and simple, and so far, are impossible to screw up.

If you buy this book, I would make one recommendation, with regard to the banana bread recipe (of course): freeze your bananas for a few days before you make the banana bread. Then thaw them the night before you make it. They get super brown and mushy and are perfect for that recipe. You can literally squeeze the bananas right out of their skins.

If you only have one cookbook in your collection, make it this one. You won't regret it. Click here to get it on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment