Friday, April 27, 2018

Book 187: A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies and Leadership by Former FBI Director James Comey

Well, I rolled through this book in no time at all. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down. And it was a relatively easy read.

Unless you've lived under a rock for the past two years, you know James Comey is the FBI Director who assumed his job in 2013 under Barack Obama and was fired in 2017 by Donald Trump. He wasn't even directly informed: he received news of his dismissal when he heard it on the news. 

This book detailed important milestones responsible for shaping James Comey's understanding and appreciation of real integrity and leadership. He told the story of his work as a prosecutor and attorney general and later, his rise to the position of FBI director. He told of the difficulty of the Hillary Clinton email scandal and the heat he took for handling it the way he did. And finally, he detailed his conversations with Donald Trump up to his unorthodox dismissal from his position. 

I received my Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership (BSOL) in 2016, so I found that I had a unique perspective on this book. Many tenets of leadership that I learned in my studies were embodied in Comey's experience. I loved his dedication to the separation of the FBI from political influences. I loved his commitment to justice. I think many people can relate to his desire to remain at arm's length from a president who so clearly could care less about integrity and facts. 

I hope you pick this up and read it, because it's not a difficult read, and it really explains a lot that I've wanted to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment