Monday, July 15, 2019

Book 200: A Beautiful Work in Progress by Mirna Valerio

I LOVE MIRNA VALERIO. She is the bomb.

For my 200th book, I'm featuring A Beautiful Work in Progress, a book about a woman that doesn't give a rat's ass that she is technically obese. She is a mother. She is a writer. She is a teacher. She is African American. And she is an accomplished marathoner.

Mirna Valerio does not play. She trains every day and has run everything from a plain old 5K to an ultramarathon (anything over 26.2 miles). She is known as "The Mirnavator" on the trails and among her social media followers.

Although there were many wonderful stories within this memoir, the chapter that is most memorable is the one in which she paid homage to her own body. Mirna talks about each feature of her body and how each contributes to her success on the trail. I think I was so taken with this chapter because most women just hate their bodies, even those who have perfect ones. After reading this chapter, I had a serious conversation with myself about how I feel about my body.

As women, we need to support one another and stop beating ourselves up. This book changed my life. I encourage you to pick up a copy, especially if you are a woman. The Mirnavator is inspiring. She is on Instagram and shares many aspects of her life as a marathon runner. Go to https://www.instagram.com/themirnavator/.



No comments:

Post a Comment