Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Today is National Family Literacy Day: Passing on A Legacy of Reading


Today, November 1, is National Family Literacy Day!

When I was a kid, my mom always had a book on her nightstand. She kept Reader's Digest or the novel she was currently reading in the bathroom so while my brothers played in the tub, she could catch up on her reading. She read in the car while my dad drove up and down the east coast on our family vacations. She borrowed books from the Roxborough branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia and always turned them in on time. She showed me reading was a priority. Sometimes she straight up ignored us while she was reading. My dad was good at that, too. He collects enormous art history books, which are stored in tortured-looking bookcases throughout their house.

Without even realizing it, many parents strive to keep members of our households occupied every waking hour of the day. We bounce from one activity to the next, never setting aside any time for ourselves until we crash in front of the TV. This is a terrible way to live and a poor example for our children, who will likely seek the same balance in the future that all of us wish we had today.

I try to emulate my mother's example for my own two kids to show them it's good to incorporate time into each day for reading, whether by themselves or alongside others. I want them to see that reading is something to be enjoyed, not endured. I want to catch my kids reading on their own, nestled in a blanket on the couch or sitting up in their tree fort. I hope they will cultivate their own lives through reading and encourage others - perhaps one day their own children - to do the same.

Today, sit down with your kids and read them a book. Or, if they say they're "too big" for reading together, take them to a book store (yes, a brick and mortar one) and let them pick out something new. Or, like me, you may decide to head to one of your local libraries to participate in a book club. My own favorite is meeting tomorrow at 6:30 at the Smyrna Public Library if you'd like to join!

❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment