The Goal

To continue to read one book each week
To find authors who inspire me
To teach myself discipline
To share my experiences with others


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Week 5: Why Haven't You Written? by Nadine Gordimer

Failure when undertaking a project or a job is inevitable - whether it be large or small. I understand that, and will therefore count "Why Haven't You Written?" as my first failure of the year.

Let me say first why I failed to complete this book. Although the author was a Nobel Prize winner in Literature, I  don't think her style was appealing to me - as a layperson. I was lost nearly all of the time, just hoping to get through it to get to the next book on my list. No offense, Ms. Gordimer. You're a pretty smart lady. This book may have just been your one "miss" in a series of "hits".

Although it seems completely stupid, it would have helped to have some sort of indication that this book was a series of short stories prior to beginning it. Instead, I was in the middle of the fourth chapter, trying to figure out why there seemed to be no connection between any of the characters mentioned in previous chapters. I finally saw the footnote on the back of the book that it was a "volume of stories", however, there was no preface stating this.

Anyway, I got to page 95 of this small print book that was chock full of winding descriptions, tangents, and flustering similes that took a concerted effort to understand, then even more effort to reincorporate that understanding back into the context. I couldn't get past the tiny details to understand the meaning of the story.

I will never pick a book again just because it has the word "Nobel" on the front cover. Blech, blech, blech. Thank goodness I borrowed it from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget