Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Week 4: The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

I want to read this book again! And again! I am the quintessential ignoramus of themes, double meanings, and all of those little brilliant things that writers add with such great pains that seem so effortless. I usually pick those things up on a second, third, or even sixth reading. Well, I'll keep it on hand for vacations and long drives. It is a heck of a page turner.

Aside from the obviously amazing imagery, metaphors, and similes, the story is a gradual one that develops characters slowly, and with every chapter changes the reader's impression of the character they thought they already knew. I love slow and easy character development because it is true to life. You think you know someone, then you find out something new, and your impression of that person can change drastically - could be good, could be bad.

Quoyle's story was one of rough beginnings and disadvantages, but need for survival combined with dumb luck and a little help from a bullheaded aunt delivered him into a life worth living.

What an awesome book! I can't wait to read it again - and by the way, I doubt I'm ever going to see the movie - no matter how acclaimed. I don't want to lose the story I already have set in my mind. And although I love him, I think Kevin Spacey would make a terrible Quoyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment