Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Week 3: Simple Prosperity by David Wann

If I can say anything, it's that this book made me want to sell my posessions to the lowest bidder... just to cut down on some of the clutter we've accumulated.

I never thought of my home as a "consumer unit" until I read this book. But did you know that the U.S. Government sometimes refers to our homes using just that term?

For one thing, the author really knows what he's talking about when he speaks so highly of collaborative communities. His ideas about living more simply and sharing the burden and benefit of common spaces were very appealing to me. I'm not saying I want to live in a commune, but I love the idea of sharing with neighbors and growing a community into something beyond just houses, lawns, and concrete.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who feels overloaded with the stress of trying to keep up with a house, kids, work, an ever-changing schedule, bills, and the headaches of daily life. The author encourages personal development and progress for the good of the community, whether it be local or global. He also shows us how to take pleasure in little things, to make the most of our time here on earth, and to despise greed, narcissism, and waste. He peppers the book with factoids and awesome, thought-provoking quotes that helped me switch from theory to reality to abstract thinking, then cited true examples of ways that the ideals have been realized.

Thanks, Emily, for letting me borrow this book, the ideas are life-altering. I know you haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I'd definitely make me return it if I were you.

No comments:

Post a Comment