Friday, February 5, 2010

Week 2: Fight Club by Chuck Palhaniuk


A great book - if completely screwed up - and totally different from the movie when written in first person. Morbidly enjoyable and full of awesome metaphors that really hit home. As does happen with me, I was disappointed that I hadn't read the book before seeing the movie. Ah well, life is full of regrets.

Believe it or not, my favorite part of the book (of course this is the paperback version we're talking about) was the author's foreword. Observations that he made about the "cult classic" movie version and its influence on the American culture really hit me as ironic, funny, and, at the same time, terrifying. People really do the things in this book. I may never eat out again.

Tyler Durden and the sad and lonely and sleepy main character (whose former life is so unimportant that his name is never mentioned) forceably compete for one body. What begins to emerge from this wacked out situation is a revolution by "everyday joes" called "Project Mayhem". Aptly named, the ideas and implementation of this project comes out of a mind that is so completely dereft of stability that it cannot even discern its own movements and activities.

As far as Chuck Palahniuk is concerned, although I haven't read all of his books, I have read some... and they have been very memorable, very ironic, and very creepy. For someone who has a strong stomach and a taste for the "mental" side of things... he's probably up your alley.

1 comment:

  1. one of my favorites- this is a great idea, keep it up!!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete