Monday, April 19, 2010

Week 11: The Humbling by Philip Roth

I picked this one up from the new books section at the Dover Library because it was the right size to help me get back on schedule with my blog - and I wound up really liking it.

This little book had a coziness to it - I got a similar impression from a book called "A Patchwork Planet" by Ann Tyler. The story's simplicity and ease really appealed to me.

The main character was once a famous actor, with a cultured taste for classical theatre and charismatic women. He intimately details his sad decline from center stage to an institution, and his life that followed.

Although there were some explicit scenes (I won't go into all the details), the flow was there... and it was essential to the story.

I will definitely pick up another of Roth's books - just to find out if his other works are equally appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment