Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Week 12: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter

The only problem I could find with this book is that it is enormous - and was terribly hard to read within a week. Thanks Christine W. for the recommendation!

For any of you who enjoy deliciously naughty religious satire, this is the book for you. The story line was craftily peppered with silliness and fun pokes at good and evil - and I'll admit, I had to look up "ineffable" - in order to fully understand this book.

I could see Pratchett and Gaiman sitting around, putting this book together, laughing their keesters off at their own ingenuity and, at times, incredibly sick sense of humor. I'm sure that beer was a factor more than once. (The painball scenario was pretty screwed up - whoever came up with that one is certifiable.)

I would recommend this book to anyone who has enough experience with religious tradition to believe that not all of it can be taken seriously.

If you're a devout Catholic or Protestant, and you get offended easily, trust me... don't bother!

No comments:

Post a Comment