Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week 21: Reservation Road by John Burnham Schwartz

This book, my friends, was so readable! Though it took me a week (I was relatively busy), I could have easily finished it more quickly.

Schwartz chose to write this book from three perspectives.. a wife and two fathers. From the beginning, I felt that I was thrown into the lives of the characters - much like they were thrown together - haphazardly. At times, story lines overlapped, as each character told his or her version of events. Had it not been done with so much talent, it might have been very difficult to follow. Oh yeah, and thankfully, he put the characters' names at the top of each chapter.

Sadly, a terrible accidental death plays the major role as the plot's catalyst and characters' motivation throughout the story. I almost got the feeling, since I've had some time to think about it, that the characters were merely telling the stories of the lives of two boys.

I knew that this book had been made into a movie a few years ago, but I haven't seen it. The book was good enough that I feel I may never need to. But hey, if the opportunity presents itself (with a bowl of popcorn, of course), I probably won't turn it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment