Monday, July 12, 2010

Week 25: Dimiter by William Peter Blatty

William Peter Blatty's style is illustrious and passionate. He's the author of the Exorcist, so I thought things would get weird and wild pretty quickly.

Imagine a contract killer who is so gifted at understanding his victims that he actually "becomes" them, on a supernatural level. That is the basic premise of this story, which starts out in Albania and moves to Jerusalem in the early 1970's.

The idea was a good one, but the momentum of the book was completely off kilter for me. It took 231 pages of reading before the story began to take shape. I didn't actually get any of the major concepts of the book until the last 8 pages, which may have been the author's intent all along. I don't know.

I was pretty lost throughout the book. Maybe I read it too quickly. Maybe I just didn't get it. Maybe you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment