Friday, August 6, 2010

Week 28: Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan

A psychologist loses her husband, and her heart heals by way of a dog. That's the premise of this book, written by Jacqueline Sheehan.

I've never had a "soul" connection with a dog like the one described in this book. The author portrayed the human/canine connection beautifully. Really, the bond was so amazing, the entire book could have been written just about its development! Instead, the author adds in a superfluous love story and a murder/suicide mystery. At that point, the wonderful simplicity, for me, was lost.

Despite whatever flaws I felt were lodged awkwardly within the story line, I loved the author's use of tone, and I greatly enjoyed the character development of the lonely divorcee, the ex-priest, the anorexic neighbor... these people were so familiar I felt I could reach out and touch them. Adding in a medical oddity (synthesis) took a lot of research.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, and if you are a dog lover, you would probably like it more than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment