The Goal

To continue to read one book each week
To find authors who inspire me
To teach myself discipline
To share my experiences with others


Friday, August 6, 2010

Week 28: Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan

A psychologist loses her husband, and her heart heals by way of a dog. That's the premise of this book, written by Jacqueline Sheehan.

I've never had a "soul" connection with a dog like the one described in this book. The author portrayed the human/canine connection beautifully. Really, the bond was so amazing, the entire book could have been written just about its development! Instead, the author adds in a superfluous love story and a murder/suicide mystery. At that point, the wonderful simplicity, for me, was lost.

Despite whatever flaws I felt were lodged awkwardly within the story line, I loved the author's use of tone, and I greatly enjoyed the character development of the lonely divorcee, the ex-priest, the anorexic neighbor... these people were so familiar I felt I could reach out and touch them. Adding in a medical oddity (synthesis) took a lot of research.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, and if you are a dog lover, you would probably like it more than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget