Sunday, August 15, 2010

Week 30: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I considered whether I should include this book in my blog for the simple reason that it only took a few hours to read. I couldn't put it down. Lucky for me, I had some extra time. I began reading it shortly after we embarked on our nine-hour drive back from New Hampshire, and finished it up yesterday.

The adventures of Arthur Dent after his world was destroyed were certainly odd. Nothing could prepare me for the Vonnegut-esque one-liners that were thrown in throughout the book. I laughed out loud many times. Douglas Adams is a very clever satirist who seems to have a talent for a certain type of specialized weirdness.

I have been meaning to read this book for years, but just never got to it. I have to admit, the end was ever-so-slightly anti-climactic. After I waited all of these years to read this book, I had hoped for a more astounding ending.

I don't think I'll read the rest of the series anytime soon, at least not during the course of my blog project. There are too many other potentially wonderful books anxiously awaiting my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment