Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Week 32: House Rules by Jodi Piccoult

No doubt, this book was a bestseller because of its pure readability and momentum. I finished this 532 page book in less than a week with a few days to spare. It was a comfortable fit from the very start, easy to slip into.

House Rules is the story of a young man who is at the center of it all - even when he doesn't want to be. The author describes the experience of Asperger's in as much detail as I'd ever like to know. Before this book, I knew very little about Asperger's, only that it was a mild form of autism and tended to manifest itself in high IQ and deficient social skills. Whether every detail is scientifically accurate, I don't know. But the picture is clear: Asperger's is no picnic.

When Jacob, the young man with Asperger's, is put on trial for murder, his competency and sanity are questioned, but there are no easy answers. His journey through the criminal justice system made my head spin.

Admittedly, despite a great flow, some of the story was a little far-fetched. I had a tough time believing someone could go from knowing nothing to becoming an expert in the field of criminal law overnight. That was a little tough to accept. But so what? The relationships within this book were so well cultivated that it impossible not to sink wholeheartedly into their lives. Even if it requires a little forgiveness, or imagination.

I found it difficult to put this book down. It sucked me in. I hope you'll pick it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment