Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Book 97: Dream Junkies by Alexandra Ares (Review Requested)

Imagine my surprise when Alexandra Ares contacted me and asked me to review her book Dream Junkies on The Ardent Reader! At first, I was hesitant to reply to her because I get so much garbage in my old email. So I googled her name and - yeah - she's a real, published author. She sent me a digital copy of the book and we exchanged emails. And then it took me THREE MONTHS to read the book. (I'm sorry, Alexandra! Life got in the way!)

Dream Junkies is the story of a Romanian-American woman, Kitty, who never really gave love a chance. She is beautiful, intelligent, and yet, totally incapable of giving herself to a man completely. She embarks on a trip with a friend (that character, Desert Rose, was like my worst nightmare) that becomes a total disaster, and finds the unexpected when she thinks she couldn't be more miserable.

The character of Kitty reflects the author's own background and provided some great insight into Eastern Europe. I enjoyed Kitty's ability to banter with just about anybody. There was a lot of great dialogue in this book, and I especially liked the conversation with the communist cab driver. I enjoyed it. Great character development.

To be fair, there were parts of this story that didn't seem realistic, but it didn't bother me enough to stop reading the book. I was looking for the next Kitty conversation about fine art or about Manhattan or Romanian politics or the differences in dating in the U.S. versus Europe. I also felt a kinship with Kitty; I don't like to play games with people's heads or listen to a woman whine about a guy that doesn't care about her. I sympathized with her.


It wasn't obvious until I finished the book, but I think the theme of this story was, "Do or die." Basically, get over the small stuff and get on with your life or it will pass you by. I couldn't agree more.

I liked it, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it and to correspond with the author. Thank you, Alexandra!

No comments:

Post a Comment