Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Book 107: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Audiobook)

So far, this is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read... er... listened to.

Beautifully assembled from beginning to end, Cutting for Stone is the story of conjoined twins who are separated and raised at "Missing Hospital" in Ethiopia. Their story is intriguing - twins who learn the art of medicine from their surrogate parents in a third world country.

Although I could have done without some of the extremely descriptive renderings of surgical procedures (my skin crawled for the first several chapters of this book), the author didn't skimp on anything else, so the gore and violence didn't seem extravagant.

I absolutely loved this book, and I actually listened to the last CD of this audiobook because I felt such a great loss when it ended.

And by the way, to quote my friend T from the Smyrna Book Club, "The narrator can do ANY accent or voice perfectly." The author is a masterful storyteller and the narrator was the perfect addition to the story.

This book was absolutely heart-stopping in places... it keeps you on the edge of your seat. Beautiful, sad, and yet, an absolute delight of literary craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment