Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Book 116: The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Hands down, this was one of the most riveting books I've ever read. In fact, I think I finished it in just two days.

This is the story of Michael - a young man who falls in love with a woman - Hanna - who is more than ten years his senior. The circumstances of their first meeting are questionable, and seemed to set the tone for the rest of their relationship. They embark on a physical relationship, and Michael follows every tryst with hours of reading to Hanna.

Their relationship becomes complex, and Hanna eventually disappears. Years later, Michael - a law student - finds himself in a courtroom. To his great surprise, Hanna is the one on trial.

I won't give away the ending, but I will tell you that the entire story was beautifully crafted from beginning to end.

I haven't seen this movie yet, because I've heard mixed reviews. I suppose I'll eventually get to it, but I'm afraid nothing will compare with the experience of reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment