The Goal

To continue to read one book each week
To find authors who inspire me
To teach myself discipline
To share my experiences with others


Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Book 117: Lone Wolf by Jodie Picoult (Audiobook)

First of all, let me say that I really have enjoyed Jodie Picoult's books up until this point. However, this book disappointed me on many levels. And I feel so bad, because Jodie is a badass writer.

I read this book for our book club at the Smyrna Public Library. Sometimes our selections are hit or miss for me. This was a complete miss for me.

Although the premise of the book was really wonderful - the parallels between the familial relationship of wolves and those of the Warren family - I felt that Picoult's execution was lacking. The honest to goodness truth is that toward the middle of the book, I began to get bored. The more it went on, the more bored I got. By the time I got to what I hoped was the end, I was no longer interested in the Warren family. I just wanted their suffering - and my suffering - to be over.

Stephen King is the master of suspense. He is an expert at building momentum and keeping his readers on the edge of their seats. Although Picoult is a creative storyteller, an awesome researcher, and generally knows how to engage her readers, she misses the mark with her attempt at suspense. The problem is, I've read King extensively, and I know what suspense is supposed to feel like. Instead, listening to this book felt like an absolute chore. I wanted it to end long before it did.

Although I missed the book club discussion on Lone Wolf, I've heard that many of those in attendance loved it. Since the book is also a #1 New York Times Bestseller, I suppose this only proves that I'm just as square a peg as I've always been. I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget