Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Book 130: The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace by Jeff Hobbs

It's difficult for me to review this book. It hit me - emotionally - on so many levels. The biography - into which the writer eventually enters as a character himself - was a deep and probing account of a promising young man's life cut short.

Rob Peace - "Shawn" to his friends - was raised by his mother in East Orange, New Jersey. His mother and father had never married, but both had an impact on Rob's character and future. As he grew, his curiosity and ability became evident, and Jackie provided him with every opportunity she could afford to give. In the end, Rob blows everyone away with his academics and love for others.

Author Jeff Hobbs had to really dig into Rob's past to tell this story. I can imagine he must have conducted hundreds of interviews to have such a well-rounded view of Rob's life. The writing was well organized, engaging, and never boring. I finished this book in just a few days - I couldn't put it down. Kudos to Hobbs - this book was badass.

I'll remember this book - I hope you'll take the time to read it and learn about the life of one Robert Peace. Despite all of his flaws, his story is inspiring, to the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment