Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Book 138: Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik

Appointed by Bill Clinton in 1993, Ruth Bader Ginsburg was the second female justice to serve the United States Supreme Court. As a teenager, I can remember some adults in my life being very upset about Clinton having appointed a "flaming feminist" to such a high office. Had I known what I know now, I probably would have shouted my own dissent.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg - or RBG - is a truly remarkable individual. Her life story is full of personal and professional tribulations that have served to develop her own deeply held values, with gender equality is at the top of the list. She is a brilliant, compassionate person who has used her own abilities and positions to create paths for others to succeed. I really loved reading about her relationship with her husband Marty, who died just a few years ago. They loved each other dearly, supported one another in their professional and parental roles, and personified marital patience. I look forward to reading more about her life in "My Own Words," a book she published just last year.

I found myself wishing I had the opportunity to meet Justice Ginsburg and ask her a million questions, such as, "Hey, you were born in 1933, just ten years after my grandmother... what made you question traditional gender roles, when everyone else was upholding them?" This - among others - would be the first of many.

The authors Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik included many photos of RBG that I've never seen, and related stories that were truly endearing. Pick it up - you won't regret it.





No comments:

Post a Comment