Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Book 150: Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America by Michael Eric Dyson

Tears We Cannot Stop was a difficult book for me to read, and not because the language was particularly challenging. No, this was emotionally difficult. After all, the author Michael Eric Dyson directed this book at me - the white American. And it made me squirm.

This book, written as a sermon to white America, intimately acquaints its readers to the plight of African-Americans, both historic and current. Within this book, Dyson offered his unique, intimate perspective on issues such as the Black Lives Matter movement, civil rights, the N-word, cop violence against blacks, white privilege, and both our former and present American presidents. I was stunned at Dyson's honesty and willingness to attack these controversial issues with such straightforward tact.

Tears We Cannot Stop hit me in most of the ways the author intended. Dyson's accusations were delivered eloquently and with a dash of pity. No one wants to hear they have - for their entire lives - been responsible for perpetuating racism and misery, but Dyson made it an undeniable truth. I felt discomfort, shame, horror, sadness, and anger. Still, no matter how uncomfortable this book made me, I know it was good for me to read what Dyson had to say.

After his poetic evisceration, Dyson didn't leave it up to his white readers to figure out what to do next. He prescribed ways that white Americans can improve race relations simply by changing their own behavior. He even provided book recommendations for those who want to learn more about the hidden history of black Americans. At least one of those recommendations will make its way onto this blog at a later date.

I would definitely recommend this book. Some will not be able to read this book cover to cover, but you should try.

No comments:

Post a Comment