Tuesday, October 10, 2017

October 10 is World Mental Health Day - Reach out to someone you love.

None of us are perfect. All of us have problems. Some of these problems are obvious to those around us, and some are hidden. Some are deep, deep inside, and only become evident when we can no longer contain them.

Mental health - one of the inside problems, is quickly becoming an unmanageable public health problem. People with mental health issues are caught in a bizarre world seemingly devoid of appropriate resources. Although medications help, there is no cure for mental illness. Behavioral therapies help, but funding for such long term, expensive services is tough to find. ERs do their best to stabilize and refer people, but the problem continues to bloom. I did my thesis on this topic for my master's degree. 

I have anxiety, which I always thought was a bullshit diagnosis until I actually had it. I have a tough time getting out of my own head. Without medication, my mind races all night long; it's especially bad when I'm dealing with stress or a decision I need to make but don't want to. I get migraines when the stress becomes too much. And my guy tells me over and over again, "Just stop thinking about it." (If only I could.)

Today is #WorldMentalHealthDay. #TalkAboutIt

Here are some links to get help when you feel like things are going out of control. 
Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255 - https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
Crisis Text Line - Text HOME to 741741  - https://www.crisistextline.org/

💓💓💓

No comments:

Post a Comment