Monday, October 9, 2017

Book 163: The Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

A few days ago I realized I read this book and never wrote a review on it. So I decided to read it once more to refresh my memory and give the Slaughterhouse Five its rightful place on my blog.

Truthfully, there's no point in reviewing this book. It's got a life of its own. Slaughterhouse Five is a classic. The story is about Billy Pilgrim, a lanky, unkempt World War II soldier who has no business being on the battlefield. When he becomes unstuck in time and transported to Tralfamadore, his perspective on life changes completely. The story is also about Dresden, Germany, a town flattened by American bombs toward the end of of the war.

Everyone who reads this book will get something different out of it. To me, it is the story of young men, old men, the human experience, the horror of war, and finally, the reality that in the long run, the existence of human beings is completely inconsequential. 

I haven't loved every Vonnegut book, but I do love this one. So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment