Saturday, March 3, 2018

Books create an opportunity to learn from each other.

On my LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter pages, I posted a photo of the Cover2Cover Book Club at the Smyrna Public Library. I wanted to remember that evening because it was so profound.

For the past few years, our book club has been predominantly white and female, but last year, more people of color and men have joined. It's been fascinating to see the conversations grow and change. We're all better because of the diversity in our group.

Thursday's book discussion was about Maya Angelou's book Why the Caged Bird Sings. I confess I did not read the entire book - I am presently about halfway through it - but I wouldn't have missed the discussion for anything.

At some point, the discussion leader asked if everyone in the room knew there was a Black American National Anthem. She said anytime the song is played in a public setting, African Americans will stand. Many people in the group were totally stunned. I myself had heard this was the case but couldn't remember the title or the refrain.

The song, "Lift Every Voice and Sing," was written by a poet named James Weldon Johnson in 1900 and was set to music by his brother John Rosamond Johnson. Our librarian, Nadine, looked up the song on YouTube and played it for us. Here's a link.

As it played, I realized I knew the song but never knew the lyrics. As a child I had heard it played numerous times at Galilee Baptist Church in Philadelphia during services and at Vacation Bible School. I knew that it was a song that we all stood for, but never knew why. The song is proud and regal, especially when played on a pipe organ.

While the song was playing on Nadine's phone, one of our book club members stood out of respect, and the rest of us followed suit. Something clicked for me, and I got a little teared up. We're all in this together, and here and now, we know it, I thought.

Many of the books we've chosen to read and discuss in the past year have focused on racial and gender equality and other socioeconomic issues. Our club has honest discussions that are refreshing for the soul because people let down their guard and speak honestly and respectfully to one another. If only the wider world could operate with such grace.

I learn from my fellow book club members every time I have the opportunity to be in the same room with them. On April 5, we'll be discussing my own recommendation: Carol Anderson's book White Rage, a book that is sure to provoke deep discussion. If you're in the area, please join us at 6:30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment