Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Spelling Bee.

Today, my daughter represented her school at the state spelling bee. She got to the third round and was stumped by a word I had never encountered in all the time I've been reading. In fact, there were a few words I'd never heard before.

In any case, the experience was a good one for her, and not one she'll soon forget. She was the top speller in her school, and for good reason: the kid reads like a fiend. When I see her getting totally absorbed in a book, it makes me so proud.

I'm proud of my son, too. The other night at Cover2Cover Book Club, he said he wanted to say something at the end of the discussion. When it was his turn, he stood up and presented Eragon, the book that has totally immersed him, and told 25 adults they should check it out. One adult responded, "Well! We love smart boy readers in this group!" (Cue proud mom blushing.)

What an ignorant ass I'd have been if I'd never had kids.

1 comment:

  1. And so, what was the stumping word? And I’m so proud of both Katelyn and Nate, the best of all the bookworms I know. Thanks To their mother, one of the sweetest bookworms I know.

    ReplyDelete