Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Don't go on autopilot.

We humans have a tendency to go on autopilot when we're doing routine tasks.

We do crazy, stupid things on autopilot. Like, for instance, I once opened up a container of leftover spaghetti and found a pair of my sunglasses pushed into it. I must have done it while I was cleaning up the kitchen on autopilot after a particularly stressful day.

Check out this article from the New Scientist on "default mode network" - DMN - a structure in the brain that handles rote functions.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2151137-your-autopilot-mode-is-real-now-we-know-how-the-brain-does-it/

I'd like to challenge you to keep your brain active while you're driving to work, taking a shower, and doing the dishes.

Put on some headphones and listen to an audiobook.

Right now, I'm listening to The Child by Fiona Barton, and it's riveting. It makes me feel alive when I'm doing routine stuff at home, at work, or during my commute.

You can use Audible if you like, but I choose to borrow audiobooks from the Delaware Library Catalog. (You need a library card to access it, so go get one today.)

Don't live your life on autopilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment