Thursday, May 3, 2018

Coincidence... or not? by Stephanie "Honey" Young (Guest Blogger)

My husband Joe passed away in 2014. Shortly thereafter, I had a string of unusual occurrences. At least two had witnesses or photographic proof.

The first one happened the day I returned to work after his funeral. Joe had given me an iHome speaker/charger for my desk in 2008. I charged my iPod almost every day, and in the six years it sat there, it never turned on by itself.

About 10:30 as I was sitting at my desk, it suddenly started playing a song from my iPod. I jumped and hit the off button.

One of my coworkers made a comment about the volume, and I went into their office to say something when the iHome started playing the same song again at maximum volume. Running back into my office, I slammed the off button again. The iHome remained silent for about an hour. Later, while I was in another coworker’s office, the iHome turned itself on and off twice in rapid succession.

It wasn’t until the next day or so when I went to show someone the recent playlist in the iPod that I realized the series of coincidences that had to have occurred.

Although it had played four times, the song wasn’t in the recent playlist.

The song wasn’t “open” (i.e. currently playing) when I checked the iPod.

Whatever caused the iPod and iHome to turn on and off didn’t affect any of the lights, computers, or other equipment in any of the offices.

Although I had more than a thousand songs on my iPod, it played the same one all four times.

The song was Judy Collins’ Both Sides Now. 

The second series of coincidences took place within a few weeks after the first. I’ll digress a bit, but it will make sense as you read on.

My husband and I liked to drink Sobe Lifewater and text each other the saying underneath the cap; such as "Sobe yourself" or "Love me some lizard." About a year before his death, Sam’s Club stopped carrying Sobe, so we didn’t drink it unless we found it on sale at a grocery store.

I keep my slippers under the corner of the bed when I’m not wearing them. On that Saturday morning, the week after his service, I got up to let my dog out and only my slippers were under the bed.

After I let the dog back in, I spent a minute in the bathroom before I decided to go back to bed. Where my slippers had been, there was an empty Sobe Lifewater bottle with the cap sitting right next to it.

Of the ten or twelve flavors available, it was my husband’s favorite.

It's possible my husband bought it a couple of weeks before he went into the hospital for the last time, but in that case the empty bottle had to have been sitting for over two months somewhere that my dog Bella could get to it. She loves to chew plastic bottles so it’s unusual that she didn’t see it earlier or that I didn’t find it on the floor while cleaning.

Normally when Bella gets a cap off of a bottle, it looks like a blob of well-chewed gum. In this case, the bottle top was nearly pristine with only one tooth mark in it, making it appear that she had succeeded in unscrewing it.

After I found the cap, I’ve checked the internet. Although a number of people have posted lists of the sayings, pictures of Sobe caps, and written articles about the messages in them, I can’t find one that mentioned the phrase in the cap.


The final coincidence? The cap said “MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY”.




















------------


This blog post was curated and/or edited by The Ardent Reader, Esther Hofknecht Curtis, BSOL, MSM-HCA. The views expressed in this blog post are those of the guest blogger. Visit www.parrotcontent.com for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment